Quick Links

Telecommunications Consumer Information

The Nebraska Public Service Commission has limited regulatory authority over mobile wireless, television and broadband services. Should you have a complaint about one of these services, you may complete the complaint form( Complaint Form link), and the Commission will attempt to resolve your complaint. You may also ask to speak to one of our consumer advocates during regular business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.) by calling 402-471-3101 or toll free in Nebraska @ 1-800-526-0017.

Mobile wireless, television and broadband services are under the authority and control of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

Learn what you can do to avoid "Spoofing." Watch this video from our federal partners at the FCC

Spoofing Graphic

Resources for Preventing Unwanted Calls

A common complaint that the Commission receives from the public is that they are receiving unwanted calls on their home and/or mobile phones.  Often, these types of calls utilize methods that make tracking down the call originators difficult.  Fortunately, there are several resources available to assist consumers with blocking, filtering, and recognizing unwanted calls.  Below are links to some of those available resources.  The Commission is providing this list for informational purposes only and does not endorse any particular product or service.








Broadcast TV Transition-rescanning information

Some local TV stations in cities across the U.S. will be changing their over-the-air broadcast frequencies between now and July 2020.

People who watch free over-the-air television with an antenna will need to rescan their TV set each time a station moves to continue receiving the local channel. It's the same scan that you did to find your local channels when you set up your TV or converter box for the first time. Except in rare circumstances, no new equipment or services are required.

Subscribers to cable or satellite TV do not need to rescan. Service providers will do it for you.

If you want more information about Broadcast TV Transition, please go to:


Navigating your Landline Telephone Bill

What is Slamming?

"Slamming" is the illegal practice of changing a consumer's telephone service without permission.  The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has created consumer protection rules to help provide a remedy if you've been slammed.  The FCC's Enforcement Bureau also punishes slammers.

The first thing that you need to do if you feel you've been slammed, is to call the company that slammed you and tell them that you will not pay the first thirty days of service, and that you want the problem to be resolved.  Then call your authorized carrier and inform them of the slamming.  Tell them you want to be reinstated with the same calling plan you were using before the slam, and to take the "change of carrier" charge off of your bill.

You do not have to pay anyone for telephone service for up to thirty days after being slammed.  You will need to make sure that you are switched to the correct carrier as soon as possible.  You will need to pay your charges to your authorized carrier after the thirty days, but at their rates, and not the rates of the company who slammed you.

Be aware of the ways that companies are permitted legally to change your telephone service.  The company must obtain your clear permission before a change, according to the FCC's rules.

There are some things that companies try to do to get your service switched:

  • Always read contests or prize packages before filling them out.
  • Don't cash any check incentives before reading very carefully.
  • Read any wireless contracts before signing, it could be in the package to switch your landline long distance service.
  • If something sounds to good to be true, then it probably is.


Auto Dialers

Click here for scripts and information on Auto Dialers

Nebraska Broadband Map

Back To Top